Philosophy @ Hanover College
"Sophie found philosophy doubly exciting because she was able to follow all the ideas by using her own common sense
-- without having to remember everything she had learned at school. She decided that philosophy was not something
you can learn; but perhaps you can learn to think philosophically."
--Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder
- Faculty Listing
- Learn about the academic backgrounds and teaching specialties of the faculty.
- The Philosophy Major
- Check out what philosophy is and why people study it.
- Find out about the requirements for majoring (or minoring) in philosophy and the five areas of concentration (or "tracks") through the philosophy major.
- Look up the Comprehensive Exams plan and Senior Thesis guidelines.
- See what recent graduates have double-majored in and what they've gone on to do after Hanover.
- Use these resources to help you do online research, think about grad school, ... or just have a few laughs.
New BookCongratulations to Dr Aimin Shen, Associate Professor of Philosophy, on the release of her new book, The Limits of Language: A Comparative Study of Kant, Wittgenstein, and Lao Tzu, published by Edwin Mellen Press.
The book demonstrates, by principle of logic, that there is something that cannot be said through the logical analysis of language itself. Hence, mysticism arises as a matter of a logical necessity. The thoughts of Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, Kant and Wittgenstein are explored in this vein to bring out the logical and mystical elements in each.